[Dailydrool] To Marty Needham(6/30/08) and from a new owner

Suzabells at aol.com Suzabells at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 12:21:39 PDT 2008

RE:: Marty with the bad week and to all Daily Drool readers..
My Lord! I just read about your week with your two Bassets and the Cockers.
I have had both in my life, I have a 5 month old Basset now, my very  first (
and last). I have been working to make her house worthy.. but  after I read
your notes I don't feel so bad!

Marty, didn't it occur to you to kick them all out of the house this past
week? it is summer, they can play outside and knock off the rowdiness  inside!
Daisy has a fenced grass yard, shade trees and a well built,  insulated dog
house outside.
she also has her own pool to play in and loves it so I don't feel bad  when I
put her out. she is in and out during the day depending on her behavior.

I also didn't know trimming nails was such a big  deal until I was reading
today's Drool. big deal,  she was at the vet's for  spaying last week and  he
trimmed her nails in less than 20 seconds .  I never thought a thing about it
nor did she, apparently. sometimes ignorance IS  bliss!

The old Cocker we had, Ed, was house broken in all ways by the time he was
this dog's( Daisy Sue) age but I see the Basset doesn't want to adhere to  the
house rules very quickly. she is potty trained but it will be a long damned
winter for her if she doesn't get her manners down this summer. we live in
Colorado, it gets very cold and snowy here!

She goes after Muffin, a 13 yr old Himalayan cat but that is to be  expected,
I just put the cat on my high bed and shut the door to Daisy. if she  starts
racing thru the house, she goes back out. she is getting the picture  better
these days

We walk 1 mile in the mornings, she races thru the edges of the prairie  here
on a 16' retractable leash, it is so easy to use. I give her her head most
of the time unless a car is coming, then I shorten it to my side. she loves the
 fresh dirt, races like a pony thru it, galloping till she is exhausted.
good!  then we take another 1 mile walk in the late afternoon or early evening,
she  does the same thing. by 7pm she is in her kennel bed ( in kitchen ) with
the  gate shut. she sleeps all night till I let her out at 6am again. she has
never  said a word after being put to bed,

I read the Daily Drool and wonder what on earth is going on with so many
folks and their Bassets! seems like all sorts of huge problems arise but I am
not going to those places with Daisy. I am not her slave, she is a dog and  I
love her, take good care of her but she is still a DOG!  Out if you  cant
behave, In when you can. maybe some of you can simplify your problems by
remembering these are dogs, not children. I don't know.. I just know this dog  isn't
going to run my house or my life. period.  happy days with your  puppies , to all
of you!  Suzan Pulsifer, Pueblo West, Colorado _Suzabells at aol.com_
(mailto:Suzabells at aol.com)