[Dailydrool] "Gracie" concerns

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Mon Jun 30 20:07:45 PDT 2008

Sylvie,

While I understand your concerns, I don't think that this particular movie
will generate that kind of mania.

There are several reasons for my feelings:  First, the movie is based on an
American Girl doll character (Kit Kittridge).  As a grandmother of 14 year
old twins who were BIG into American Girl dolls, particularly Kit, I know
they and their clothing are expensive.  (Side note:  on an 8th birthday
present trip to American Girl Plaza, the twins were actually called "Kit"
because they resembled her.  My credit card took a BIG hit on that trip: two
Kit dolls, 6 Kit outfits, etc.).  This, in and of itself, limits the sphere
of influence on young girls.  There may be lots of little girls who see the
movie, but those who are likely to be most "into it" are those who have the
doll and have read the books.   Secondly, in the books and in the movie (at
least to my understanding) Gracie is a rescued adult basset.  I think this
is remarkable since the era of this character/book/movie is 1940-ish and
well before the time of organized rescue efforts.  Finally, the movie is
really about the adventures, trials and tribulations of Kit during a
difficult financial time for her family and country.  Gracie is definitely a
part of the family but the focus of the movie is not on Gracie.

I certainly hope that the movie doesn't generate puppies that are placed in
untenable situations and more work for rescues.  We will keep our fingers
(and paws) crossed, but I think the risk is much less than that posed by the
"cutesy" movies you mentioned.

Sandi Wittenberg

Red Bay Bassets