[Dailydrool] Hound Smell, maybe not!

Carol Gazzara carolgazzara at hotmail.com
Thu May 1 04:48:40 PDT 2008

  Reading about the "houndy smell" has me wondering if maybe your dog isn't rolling in something stinky!

Our Rosie LOVES to investigate our yard, our neighbor's yards, the area around the lake,  and,  if she finds something interesting smelling she will often roll in it.  There have been times where she just had a bath and out she goes later that day and finds something (Raccoon or cat urine maybe or a favorite of hers; a dead fish that some bird has dropped) and she does the drop and roll.  And when I say roll, I mean roll, over and over again and then get up and fall on it again and roll and she's wagging her tail and yes.... she is smiling as she does it.  Of course, when she comes in, everyone in family runs from her and then she has to go back in the shower.  So...maybe it's not your dog's odor you're smelling.  Keep an eye on your hound when outside to see if there is something he/she is rolling in.  My neighbor's dog rolls in her own poop pile if they don't watch her and she's a pure white dog so they very easily know when she's been rolling.