[Dailydrool] duck feet?

Dan Hickey dhickey at m-audio.com
Thu May 1 07:34:29 PDT 2008

A slight turn out of the front paws is natural for a Basset and
mentioned in the breed standard. When the turn out increases and if the
ankles come close together under the dog they become less "conforming."
For the most part this only matters if you had wanted to show the dog.
But if it is too pronounced (sometimes called "eastie-westie.") it can
make the dog's movement much less efficient. While I do not think it
will cause the dog pain or suffering, it will cause the dog to tire more
quickly while walking due to increased (less efficient) effort to
balance and move. It would also tend to limit the Basset's top speed for
the same reason. This is one of those genetic defects we talk so often
about. In the modern day life of most Basset "house dogs" and pets it is
more a cosmetic issue than a practical one.

Dan Hickey