[Dailydrool] Rattlesnake warning

Lavern rrjlfj at cox.net
Thu May 1 10:03:34 PDT 2008

Our basset Herky was bit by a rattlesnake yesterday in our back yard.  We live in the San Diego area (Santee, CA) and our back yard faces a hill so there are many snakes out there.  We did not see the snake but my husband noticed that Herky's face was swollen so we assumed it was a snake bite- which was later verified by the vet.  We rushed him to the vet and they immediately started his treatment.  The vet thinks he did not get a lot of venom from the snake.    His swelling in the face is gone now and we can take him home this afternoon.  I now wonder how we can snake-proof our yard.  We have many trees and shrubs on the hill.  The yard is fenced in with chain link fencing.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  LaVerne