[Dailydrool] Have you heard of this?

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Fri May 2 06:46:23 PDT 2008

Not sure if anyone remembers that we had mysterious small amounts of blood
spatter a few weeks ago in the kitchen. Anyhow, Oliver was taken to the vets
for his annual check up, exam, his boosters, etc as he is now 1 year old
(end of January).  There was a very small hard, crunchy on his ear edge at
the bottom. I asked the vet to look at it and because his hair is thinning
at the back of his ears. The vet looked in his ears and no infections or
problems.  What he did say was that he shakes his head too much which flops
his ears around and it is destroying the cells.  To that I say "huh?"  I am
dumbfounded.  He is a little monster and I know he would not keep his ears
pinned back like the vet was thinking. I was thinking a snood, but I bet he
would get that off and chew it up.  Every time he gets up from a nap or just
sometimes in general he does the shake where his ears hit each other and
flap (which the vet says is destroying the cells).  I had thought the blood
was from Mazzie's teeth (Basset).  Turns out it was from Oliver's ears as we
had splatter on the sliding glass door. He is no longer bleeding and hasnt'
for awhile. Oliver is our doxie.  We were told he was a mini, but he is not
as at 14 1/2 lbs the doc wants him to gain 1 to 2 pounds more. His Mom was a
mini and his Dad must have been standard.  Anyhow, since both breeds have
the long ears, has anyone heard of what the vet is talking about or could
say it in more layman's terms?  His ears are thinner then the bassets so
perhaps that has something to do with it.  The vet also told us not to touch
his ears.  No other options were offered besides hands off and possibly
pinning them back with something.

Thanks and
DRool to all in need,
Dee, Maggie, Mazzie and Oliver