[Dailydrool] Bees, wasps and hornets

JACQIE MARVICH oakrydgebh7 at msn.com
Fri May 2 13:20:33 PDT 2008

We have ALL three of these nasty pests here in the southwest Idaho. I haven't had a lot of problems with them where my hounds are concerned but I did have one boy that required surgery to remove a saliva gland in his neck after he swallowed a wasp live and it stung him from the inside of his throat. Poor Harley had a tough time and when they did the surgery we prayed they'd find the right salive gland and not have to do it over again. They did and he healed up fine but didn't learn from his experience. In fact, he seemed even more intent on snatching the buzzy little monsters when they came close than ever. I had to keep him indoors most of the time during wasp/hornet season. I had to help Harley to the bridge at age 11 1/2 and I was devastated. He was a champion when I rescued him from an abusive home. He learned to trust me and that I would never put him in harms way. I miss him dearly to this day. He was a very special boy.

Drool to all in need. And we are all soooooo happy to hear that Brudder Elwood is on the mend and back home again.

Jacqie Marvich
Oakrydge Bassets