[Dailydrool] First anniversary

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun May 4 14:05:33 PDT 2008

It was a year ago last night that a vet helped my basset friend Macy
out of this life and into the next. It wasn't an easy death. I was so
upset by it at the time that I simply couldn't write about those
details on the Drool when I posted about Macy's death. The actual
euthanasia process didn't go as well as it normally does and as it
did for our late, great Jane Basset, and Macy was frightened and hurt
by a procedure that was supposed to spare her pain and fear. I still
find it upsetting, and I've been doing my best this weekend not to
think about it.

It's been a quiet year without our little thundercloud snarling at
those who would come near a treasured bone, dead bird, or human
friend, a thundercloud who could also be so very sweet and attentive
to those she loved. She is thought of frequently and always fondly. I
see the scar she left on our Elsinore's nose and the notch she made
in Elsinore's ear (both the result of tussles over smoked pig ears,
Macy baiting Elsinore and Elsinore predictably rising to the bait)
and perversely think warm thoughts of my irascible little friend.

Macy's human, Jennifer, and her basset brother, Owen, are doing okay,
but tears are still close to the surface for Jennifer and sometimes
for me, too. One of our joint friends, Kelly Jane Wilson on the
Drool, has a little black lab/basset mix named Mary Myrtle who never
fails to make Jennifer weepy when we see her at the dog park. Macy
took exceptional care of Jennifer, and it's obvious that Myrtle tries
hard to take very good care of Kelly Jane. The loving and slightly
worried way in which Myrtle looks up at Kelly Jane is exactly the
same way Macy used to look at Jennifer. Myrtle has Macy's eyes.

Jennifer had thought she'd spend this anniversary at the Kentucky
Derby with her sister, a nice distraction from a difficult day. Owen
and Chloe, Macy's basset/golden retriever successor, were going to
stay with us. Then next weekend Jennifer and I were going to go to
the park Macy loved, scatter Macy's ashes, and then go out to eat
waffles in her honor. Waffles were Macy's favorite food after Frosty
Paws, and Jennifer and I would rather eat waffles than Frosty Paws.

But it's funny how things happen.

Last week Jennifer picked up a stray beagle in the parking lot of
Lowes. The beagle was clearly someone's well-cared-for pet and had
recently been spayed. Jennifer posted about her on Petfinders,
contacted animal control and the humane society, and took the dog to
her vet to be scanned for a chip. The dog's collar had no tags on it,
and she had no chip either. Jennifer took the beagle back home and
started asking around at work to see if anyone wanted a young, lively
little dog who was also beautifully housebroken and not interested in
getting on the furniture. She didn't have any takers. She also
decided she couldn't ask us to now dogsit three dogs for her and she
didn't want to disrupt the beagle's settling in process by subjecting
her to another home, even for a few days, so she skipped going to the
derby.

All week long the beagle has played happily with Owen and finally won
Chloe over, too. In fact, the beagle keeps those two dogs so busy and
active that they now have the equivalent of our Charlie Weight-Loss
Program going on over there. I expect Owen and Chloe will drop a few
pounds in no time at all with all the playing the beagle is getting
them to do. Owen, I'm told, is now going to bed so tired at night
that he isn't waking Jennifer up in the wee hours of the morning
anymore. In addition to making Owen sleep the whole night through,
Jennifer has appreciated the beagle's excellent house manners.

She has also noted that the beagle's eyes are very much like Macy's.

A man in her vet's waiting room told Jennifer it was obvious the
beagle had bonded to her.

Yesterday I called Jennifer to see how she was doing and she told me
that she'd gone out and bought a new collar and an ID tag for the
dog. The dog she'd been calling Beagle all week is now Lola, in honor
of the store Jennifer found her outside. She says she won't actively
seek a new home for Lola. She says Lola's eyes make her think of
Macy, though Lola's personality is considerably more even-tempered.

I told Jennifer that there are some on the Drool who would say that
Macy sent Lola to her, the timing of Lola's arrival being so close to
a difficult anniversary. Jennifer says she's thought about that as
well. Some dogs are just sent to us for a reason, even though we may
feel as if we have enough dogs already. She will keep Lola, stagger
everyone's annual exams so as to spread the big, predictable vet
bills throughout the year, and pray all the dogs stay in good health,
though Owen continues to have bouts of cellulitis, which can be a bit
expensive at times.

I haven't met Lola yet, but I hope to take our Elsinore and young
Charlie over there next weekend so they can meet the new member in
their extended pack. Jennifer and I are placing bets on who will wear
out first from non-stop playing and chasing, Lola or Charlie.

So Jennifer spent the first anniversary of Macy's death giving a home
to a young beagle with loving eyes, and she isn't sure she wants to
scatter Macy's ashes after all.

Elizabeth