[Dailydrool] Upsetting neighborhood norms

Dan Hickey dhickey at m-audio.com
Mon May 5 10:51:39 PDT 2008

When I first read this I was immediately incensed. How dare they? Upon
reflection, it is indeed a difficult issue. You DO have to live there.
There must be give and take between neighbors and cordial, civil
interaction is best for everyone. If I remember right, a few months ago,
we had a discussion on this very issue from the other perspective. A
Drooler was complaining about someone who was out on the street
"loitering" while walking his dog.

So first question: what is the real problem? Dogs are territorial
animals. Different dogs have different intensity levels in protecting
their territory. Maybe the neighbor works at night, or ???

Try (as said earlier, without your dog) to talk to each problem
neighbor. Explain your situation. Ask specifically, what are his issues.
Ask if he has any (constructive) suggestions. Point out that you vary
your route to spread out your "intrusions". Find out if some times are
better than others. Ask if he'd be interested in walking with you.

Only after this fails would I point out that I have given a real effort
to a satisfactory mutual solution. Remind him that the street is a
public place and you are not abusing it or breaking any rules or laws.
Mention your sadness at his declining to be part of the solution.

And then, just ignore him and go about your business.

Good Luck.

Dan Hickey