[Dailydrool] Possessiveness and aggression....ANY suggestions....

Jess'e Potts bassetlovers at mchsi.com
Tue May 6 10:49:05 PDT 2008

Hi all~
I have just joined the Drool, I know I know shame on me, for being in rescue
for over 3 years now.  One of our adopters has an issue with their recently
adopted hound Moose.  Below is a statement he e-mailed me and I honestly don
t know what to tell him.  Of course it is not acceptable, no one wants their
big galoof basset being this possessive. Now please let me explain Moose's
start into rescue.  He was in a home in Kansas City, MO and this home's
owners got raided for a drug bust, while the police entered the back yard
out darted Moose and his sister.  It took KC animal control a day or so
catch them and when they did they gave the owners the option of coming back
for them after they were released from jail and of course they never came,
so he entered Hounds Haven Basset Rescue here in IA...his sister was adopted
locally in KC.  So his past, like all our rescued Basset's is trying to say
the least, and he deserves the home he went to, they are a great young
couple.  But now we are having the below issues:
--------
From Moose's Dad:
All has been pretty well with Moose, he is still adapting to having a full
time family, we've had a couple issues and wanted to get some perspective
from you.  Here is a run down:

When we first got Moose, he was super shy, very submissive and quite.  Over
time he has opened up and learned that it's unacceptable to be aggressive
over food/treats towards Molly, and has been doing a great job.
I think he has some emotional damage which have been causing some issues, he
can be a very odd dog at times.  For instance when its time for bed he gets
in his doggy bed (next to our bed) and stares at the wall, he will growl if
anyone gets near him.  He just sits there and stares directly into the wall
until the lights go out.  When its not bed time he's as happy as can be.  He
loves all of us and plays, wags his tail non stop, etc..  The problem has
become that hes almost too loyal.  What I mean by this is when we go for
walks he gets very aggressive and growls with his hair standing up when we
pass people, or if people approach.  If a stranger is around he is very un
easy and very defensive.  This morning there was a little girl walking to
school, he bolted out the door and charged at her growing and barking.  He
didn't bite however.  I don't really know what the issue is or how to
correct it.  It's almost like he realizes that he has a permanent home and
is going out of his way to make sure nothing comes between that again.  He
never used to be this way towards visitors or strangers.  The more he gets
comfortable with his surroundings, the more he lashes out at his unfamiliar
parts of life.  I just don't want him to step to out of line and don't
really know where to go with it.  The bed thing just baffles me with how
weird he gets when he knows we're getting ready for bed.  Just thought you
might be able to shed a little enlightenment.
-------------
If anyone has any suggestion for me to forward to Moose's mom and Dad PLEASE
e-mail me off board!  I would love to help Moose, Molly and Mom and Dad.
Thanks~

Jess'e Potts
Independent Transport Coordinator
jessie.potts at mchsi.com -or- bassetlovers at gmail.com
OTRA Verified
Mommy to the Basset Hound Crew:  Zoey, Bella, Molly & Odi

-&-

Adoption & Transport Coordinator for Hounds Haven Basset Rescue
 http://www.houndshvn.petfinder.com
http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/shelter74886-dogs.html
Rescue Main Contact:  houndshvn at yahoo.com

"It's Not About Being Who Everyone Else Wants You To Be, It's About Being Yourself  & Finding Someone Who Loves Every Bit Of It"