[Dailydrool] Heart Murmur Question

Pat Dill padill at Starband.net
Tue May 6 17:03:25 PDT 2008

As we are addicted to adopting older hounds, we have had several bassets
with heart murmurs over the years.  You need to question the vet more
closely and find out what grade the heart murmur is.  Some are very mild and
will have no outward effect on the dog; others are more severe and call for
medication (which is the same medication used for humans and is usually
quite inexpensive).  You should also mention the panting and see what the
vet says; in my experience if the dog is panting because of the heart murmur
she should surely be on some kind of medication for it.

It is fairly likely that the heart murmur, especially in an older dog, will
eventually worsen and possibly even result in congestive heart failure or a
heart attack.  But with regular vet visits and medication where necessary
that process could take many years.

Don't worry about it unduly; make another appointment with the vet and go
prepared with a list of questions.

You'll feel better about it, I'm sure.

Pat Dill