[Dailydrool] Heart Murmur

Courtney Willard courtney_willard at hotmail.com
Wed May 7 08:05:03 PDT 2008

My impression with heart murmur's is that if you wait to start medication once there are symptoms, it may be too late to do any good.  My cat has a serious heart murmur and when we had him checked out with x-ray/ultrasound it turned out he had congestive heart failure.  He takes the same meds that humans would take - 4 in total, and has made a major improvement.  I know that cat's are not dogs, but our vet made it clear that if we saw symptoms with our cat (panting, coughing) we would probably not have a lot of time.  The good thing is that the meds are generic and very inexpensive.  I'm not trying to scare anyone - even my vet admitted that my cat could die of his heart murmur tomorrow, or live to be 19 - but if you can do something to help them out, it may not hurt.  Good luck!

Courtney
Momslave to Gilbert, Maggie and Franny