[Dailydrool] New Kibble?

Marilyn Bickell mbickellhounds at comcast.net
Thu May 8 09:15:14 PDT 2008

>>> From: Angelika Hastings <angelikabrn at hotmail.com>

When I stopped for kibble today I noticed a new ( I think) bag. It is called
B.G. - before grain...Has anyone tried this or know about it? ... used to
buy the Innova EVO ... <<<

Angelika,
I recently noticed Merrick's new food being sold at SitStay. I feed mostly a
raw diet, BUT I do feed some kibble which is EVO, and either Innova or
California Natural Lamb and Rice mixed 50/50 with the EVO to cut down the
fat % of the EVO. Although that does increase the percentage of protein.

Henywaaay ...

>>>... I would appreciate if there is a downside to this- ...<<<

I don't know if there's a downside to Before Grain. There's no Menadione
(K3) in it, so that's a plus. The fat % is actually pretty low for a grain
free kibble, which is another plus. I have one hound, Beaver, who can't have
a lot of fat in his diet, so Before Grain would definitely be an option for
him. Better than the EVO, actually.

>>>... It says one cup provides 107 calories- is this low, high
whatever??...<<<

In kibble, calories come mostly from the fat. So if fat is an issue for Ms.
Brandy, then you should consider that. But if she ate EVO and didn't react
to the amount of fat, then she should be ok with Before Grain and the 107
calories per cup.

>>>... I really have no idea how many calories are generally in kibble-
...<<<

It's supposed to be listed. If not, you could go straight to the source and
ask :-)

Also, Monica Segal has a new booklet available that you might be interested
in called "Deciphering Dog Food Labels," http://tinyurl.com/44uhe3

I have all of Monica's booklets but a couple; that one is one of the
"couple." This post reminded me that I need to get it ordered!

Marilyn, Miko (Chasing lizards in Heaven), Bess, RoseyMae, and Beaver
Cleaver who are not affiliated with Monica Segal,
Fort Bragg, CA

"You have gone ahead and nothing is the same, leaving paw prints on my heart
that will always remain."- Tibetan Proverb from Prayers on the Wind.