[Dailydrool] House Visits -- What to Expect

Susan Randolph msrandolph at verizon.net
Sun May 11 18:25:37 PDT 2008

I know a few people have asked about what to expect from house visits... so
I thought I'd share a few details of what you could expect if I were
scheduled to do your house visit and took my little *demo dog* Daisy
along... based on our experience today!

First, as we pull up to your home, she'd wail to get out of the car while I
was trying to greet you, the prospective hound owner. This is to assure you
that HER presence is central and to remind EVERYONE within ear shot (roughly
a two-block radius) that hounds can BAY and should be listened to at all
times!

Then she'd disembark the vehicle and pee -- on the sidewalk! Because of
course walking 6 inches to either side in order to find grass (which was a
bit cold and damp today) would just be WRONG. PULLING me to the door is
next... waiting for the hosts would simply be a waste of time.

Once in the house, cruising for crumbs is required... Oh, and did I mention
that she ventured immediately into the beautifully appointed dining room and
peed on the floor ... even though she'd just peed on the walkway minutes
earlier. Apparently this was a political statement.

During the rather short visit, she also managed to demonstrate her table
dancing prowess (she often hops into my lap when nervous about her
surroundings, and since we were at the kitchen table, it seemed quite
reasonable to her to then explore the dining furniture -- something she is
NOT permitted to do at home). In addition, she climbed into a comfy chair
and nearly hurled herself into the kids' toy box (must have been some
goodies in there).

I'm pleased to say the prospective adopters were amused and completely
unphased by her antics (so of course they passed the tests with flying
colors). For those who worry about such things, I can assure you that Daisy
never inspected the home for dust bunnies (in fact, she opted to leave a
plentiful volume of shedded fur to remember her by) or inspected the
cleanliness (except to cruise for any stray crumbs). Her focus was entirely
on the most impawtent factors -- their reaction to basic basset necessities
(food, fun, attention).

I hope they are still interested in a basset... if nothing else, I think we
made their Mother's Day memorable!

Drool on,

Susan (slave to Daisy, the ambassetdor, and Toby)