[Dailydrool] More on the fat Basset

Nicole Haase nicole.haase at gmail.com
Thu May 15 12:13:29 PDT 2008

I should probably have given more information - I show my email off so quick
since I'm at work I didn't give all the details.

Last time we took Flash in, he was 83 pounds. He has severe skin allergies
and is on Prednisone, so he retains water and drinks like a fish. Because of
this, he'll always be a big boy. Ideally, we'd like him down 10 or 15
pounds.

He was abandoned tied to a porch and is now 8 years old. We've had him for
two years. He is an inveterate scrounge. We cannot leave the hint of food
anywhere that he might possibly be able to reach. He has found food we
didn't know we had. We have blocked off the pantry, don't leave any food on
any surface/table/counter but he will go through garbages, purses, you name
it.

He acts as though he never gets fed and he reminds me of the stories you'll
hear about elderly people who lived through the Depression. When they pass
away and someone goes through their home, they find food stashed everywhere.
He still acts like he doesn't know where his next meal is coming from.

We have been to the vet about his weight, but the vet didn't seem too
concerned. He told us to put him on a diet and walk him more. He's on Iams
Weight Loss and most nights gets a cup of food mixed with 1/4 can of
pumpkin. I tried mixing the green beans in with his kibble and he just eats
around the beans.

He also is the most major pain in the behind if he doesn't get peanut butter
in a Kong after dinner. I now buy the lowest calorie/sugar PB I can find and
he gets about two knife fulls of peanut butter - much less than he was
getting. The night we tried to stop giving him the Kong, he made my life a
living hell with groaning, barking, whining, nudging and generally annoying
me until I relented. So for my sanity and sleeping, I switched the type of
peanut butter and made sure he was getting just a taste.

--
Nicole Haase
nicole.haase at gmail.com
414-708-3542