[Dailydrool] Regarding How Do You Fight a Barking Complaint

Jessica Sutton Jessica at fmprofessionals.com
Wed May 21 08:18:27 PDT 2008

Kathy,

I've dealt with pain-in-the-rump neighbors who would complain
"anonymously" about my dogs barking, again, like your sister's in the
middle of the day, when there were strangers around, etc., but would let
their dog out BEFORE sunrise on a Saturday morning to wake up the entire
neighborhood.  He's a barker!!  It's frustrating to deal with someone
like that, but I found in my situation that going next door and engaging
my neighbor in a discussion about the dogs and asking politely that if
there is something that bothers them, especially if I'm not home or if I
am not aware of it, to come to me first and at least let me know so I
can have a chance to get it under control myself.  I told my neighbor
that she had my full permission to call the authorities about my dog's
barking if she came to me first and I did nothing to fix the problem or
told her to shove it where the sun don't shine!  Lol  Which of course, I
wouldn't do.  After our talk, their dog mysteriously stopped barking
before the sunrise on the weekends, and she would go over to the fence
to say hi to my dogs when she was in the yard, and they stopped barking
at her so much when she was out there.  All in all, it ended up being a
good thing, we saved ourselves from a bunch of nonsense and just figured
out a way to be good neighbors...compromise.  Maybe your sister could
try to talk to her neighbors and let them know she is willing to
compromise and find a way for all to be happy.

Jessica L. Sutton