[Dailydrool] Iams issues...

jdeane at everestkc.net jdeane at everestkc.net
Wed May 21 13:31:24 PDT 2008

Is the food making every (or even most) dogs sick that eat it?  If that is the case then I would agree that the food has something bad in it.  If, however, the food is making YOUR dog sick then it may be as simple as a food allergy.  That is not your fault or the maker's fault.  Just like people, some dogs are sensitive to some ingredients.  Just because a food is a "premium" product it does not mean that it will be free of thins your dog is sensitive to.  It will also be hard to tell if you have only one dog as it is clearly making YOUR dog sick.

There was a local veterinary Nutritionist on the local NPR station a few weeks back that talked all about the ingredients in pet food and what can cause issues with dogs.  Most dog food plants are not set up like people food plants in that even if you feed the Herring and Sweet potato food it may be made on the same machine or in the same area as the regular food and have trace amounts of wheat or soy in it that can cause issues.

Luckily for us our Dog has had no allergy issues...yet.  But sounds like you have a pup that is sensitive.  Now if that food is making a number of dogs sick then I'd be willing to bet that there is something in it that should not be.  Otherwise I'd bet it is a food allergy.  Sounds like you have found a food that will work.  Take a look at the ingredients for each and see if there is something in the Eukanuba that is NOT in the Natural Balance.  That my be what your pup it sensitive to.  Good luck!

Jeff