[Dailydrool] Please tell me this will pass.....

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Thu May 22 10:00:28 PDT 2008

It's been less than 24 hours and both James and I are losing our minds.
Cowboy will not ease up on humping Rupert, our new adoptee. Cowboy is not
fixed (yet); Rupert is fixed. Both are similar in age, Cowboy is 21 months
old and Rupert is estimated to be in his "terrible 2's". Rupert is quite a
bit larger than Cowboy who is rather petite. Cowboy  consistently weighs in
at 38lbs and Rupert I would estimate is 45+ and quite a bit longer.

When James took Cowboy to meet Rupert at the doggy-daycare where he was
being fostered, Cowboy immediately began humping and didn't let up. I would
say this was neutral territory so I dont quite understand why Cowboy was
immediately humping unless he somehow knew Rupert was coming home with us.
Cowboy continued to hump Rupert alllllllll day long yesterday, only stopping
when put outside, eating or sleeping. Finally when I had to go to bed I took
Rupert up with me and left CB downstairs with James. (CB almost always
sleeps downstairs on the couch but does have free reign to sleep where he
pleases) He whined at the bottom of the stairs for over an hour. Rupert and
I finally fall asleep but wake about 2am when Rupert needs to go out. As
soon as I take him downstairs to go out, Cowboy is awake and trying to hump
- again it is 2am! Go back up to catch 4 more hours of sleep and then take
Rupert out again when I get up. Cowboy again wakes and goes right back to
humping Rupert. Rupert has been very tolerable (more than I would be if I
was getting humped 24/7)but has snapped at Cowboy periodically due to the
relentless humping.

My question is when this will stop? Cowboy has humped on occasion in the
past but never to this extent. I worry that he will either hurt Ruperts back
or Rupert will snap back and hurt Cowboy. I understand there are pack
rankings that need to be established but I just need reassurance that in
time this will ease. Cowboy is my baby and the whole purpose for this
adoption was so he'd have a basset buddy to run and play with, but now I
find myself torn because I would hate to return Rup to rescue when he's not
the problem. The whole situation reminds me a lot about Howie's attempted
meet/greet only this time my basset is the humper not the humpee.

Thanks,
Kacy - also, Cowboy has a neuter appt for 6/6 - will that help the situation
or not make a difference?