[Dailydrool] Our own gruesome Halloween weekend

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Mon Nov 3 05:30:01 PST 2008

Chalk it up to Della, the sweetest, cuddliest basset who is afraid of
her own shadow, to turn a relatively calm weekend into our own
personal Vincent Price special!

Della has a bunch of sebaceous cysts in various parts of her body.
All are very small, very hard and no change in any of them in
ages...until about a week ago.  All of a sudden two of them
quadrupled in size!  So, being the proactive "they think I'm nuts at
the vet" mommy I immediate called for an appointment to have them
checked out.  (Cancer with my mother is enough---don't want to go
through it with a dog at the same time!!)  But Della's little body
(she's a whopping 45 lbs...full grown too) had other plans.

Saturday night around 10 PM, the one on her side "exploded."  Lots of
watery blood, regular beet red blood and that nasty white cheesy
stuff.  After  some time with warm compresses, the wound slowed to a
mild oozing on and off that night and by morning, all scabbed over.

I figured, ok, but still we go to the vet on Monday because the
really big one needs checking and this wound needs checking for
infection.

Sunday night....the big one on her lower back "exploded."  This one
was worse:  watery blood, regular blood, puss and a pea sized rock
hard mass made of I don't know what.  More warm compresses and same
result, all healed over by this morning.

So off we go to the vet later today with nothing to aspirate, but
want to make sure there is no infection and lots of questions.

Poor pup!!  ...and through it all: the perfect patient and snuggle
bug.  Boy did she get tons of treats!

Drool to all in need and snooters to everyone.

--heidi, buford, della and guinness the cat.