[Dailydrool] pill giving

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 13:17:51 PST 2008

If you must give a pill right into the mouth- you must stick your hand ALL the way to the back of the tongue before you let it go. It has to go behind the spot on the tongue where they can spit it back out. Literally- your hand will be wayyy back there and the basset will gag! That is the only way to 'know' that the pill went down. They will reflexisively ( is that a word??) swallow when you put it in that far back- they can't help it. Your hand will be slimed to the wrist if you did it right. Do not do this if your basset will bite!
I had a couple of folks ask me why I "tack" the Tramadol to the outside of the cream cheese... no scientific reason for this- just my gut telling me to do it.Tramadol is for pain and it's just my gut feeling that if the pill is on the outside of the cheese it'll get into the system faster than if the cheese has to be digested first. The pill is pretty small and usually is not rejected.
droolies, Angelika