[Dailydrool] Help! Zeus has a bubble on his paw

Marilyn Fulton vbassety3 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 3 19:01:09 PST 2008

Hi everyone,
    My Zeus, who is 6 and had surgery in Sept to remove three very deep
cysts in his chest and neck, now has a wierd blister on top of his front
paw, it is about two inches in diameter 3/4 inch high, full of fluid,
probably blood. I took him to the vet a week ago, she aspirated it, and
showed me the contents in a test tube.  12cc's of brownish blood with white
chunky stuff floating in it (gross, I know)  she checked it, it was not
infected.  The bubble blister collapsed once the fluid was drained out. She
then wrapped Zeus's paw in an ace adhesive bandage, and told me to watch it
to see if it filled up with fluid again.  Sure enough, exactly one week
later, the bubble appeared through the bandage. I removed it, now it's
really red, and Zeus is lick, lick, licking it non-stop.  He's been on
antibiotics the whole time.  He is scheduled to have surgery to remove it
next week.  I 've had five bassets so far, all of them got cysts at some
point, but never on top of a paw, this size.  The vet is concerned that it
could be cancerous.  Has anyone out there experienced anything similar with
their houndie?

Thank you.
Marilyn Fulton
Apollo, Daphne, and Zeus (who is licking his paw like there's no
tomorrow...)
"Hundage Barrage"
Portland, Oregon