[Dailydrool] Any Drool left?

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Fri Nov 7 10:33:52 PST 2008

Things have been busy and I haven't been reading DD as much as I'd like - we do send drool to Bob, Dulcie and all the others who need it...houndies and families.

If anyone has any spare drool, Miss Maggie, my old St. Bernard is seeing the vetman later today. She has been limping for a couple of days, and today can't put weight on her left hind leg. I made the appt earlier, but just really went over her leg. I thought is was the hip or knee as she does have arthritis. However, I found lots of swelling at the left hock and a lump. She may have twisted it and it is a sprain, but at her age, I worry that it is something more sinister. Mags is having a hard time getting around, can't get up on her own now, and I think this is stressing her back and shoulders. She is stumbling more with her front legs and stands with her back roached like it's sore. She is 11 yrs 2 mos old, and Sunday (11/9) will be her 1st Gotcha Day! We never thought she'd make it a month, then thought 6 months at the most, now we are up to a year. She is a trouper, still wagging her tail, loving her belly rubs, and actually eating better than she has in a while.

I'm hoping this is something that will heal quickly without stressing her too much. If not, well, I'll need to decide how long we can manage and keep her comfortable. I don't think long, if it's not readily treatable, as she is so uncomfortable now. I do want her to make it to that one year mark though. We both worked hard for that. I have started Previcox for her. She has been off NSAIDs for 6 months as she was doing so well. I know her age is the equivalent of a 100 year old lady, but she is alert and spunky. Mags is frustrated that she can't get up and around like she wants.

Miss Maggie isn't a Basset, but loves her Basset friends. She would appreciate some "strong leg" drool to help her get around.

Snooters, houndie and Saintly drool to all...
Synthia and
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna, Doheny ATB
Ace the Newf
Saintly Miss Maggie and Baja
Maya the Great Dane

PS Kahuna is in a show this weekend, so wish us luck! It's a major. He hasn't been out in months. We missed Nationals because of Doheny's illness, and I missed the registration for other Oct shows. I also haven't been working with him much....