[Dailydrool] Canine Cushing's

Emily Weiss Dodd emily0608 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 09:31:39 PST 2008

Hi Patti,

My basset Sally doesn't have Cushing's, but my mom's mini-Doxie
recently started treatment for adrenal Cushings, which we found
completely by mistake. Two years ago, Avery had a herniated disk in
her neck and in order for the vet to treat her properly with surgery,
she needed an MRI. Along with the results of the neck MRI, the vet
found growths on Avery's adrenal glands. At first we thought they were
just swollen because of the prednisone she had been taking for her
neck, but we kept an eye on them. After the neck surgery, and after
some subsequent treatments for a malignant melanoma tumor on her lip
(these crazy dogs!), we finally got her stable enough to look at her
possible Cushing's. Blood tests showed that it was indeed Cushing's,
but like your pup, Avery didn't have the outward pot-bellied
appearance or excessive thirst/urination. Now, she's taking daily
doses of Vetoryl (trilostane) which is safe and very effective, but 1)
isn't manufactured or sold in the USA and 2) is a bit on the pricey
side (something around $100/month). She's doing great so far, the only
thing we've noticed is that she's a bit more ginger in her movements,
which my mom attributes to her cortisone levels finally being under
control and they've stopped masking arthritis. Avery's going on 12,
and all things considered, she's doing great!

Please keep us posted ... Cushing's is a manageable condition and as
long as you work closely with your vet, you can definitely keep it
under control and keep your pup healthy and happy.

Slingin' drool!
emily & sally