[Dailydrool] Watson was hit by a car

Katie Strobel katie.strobel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 14:41:23 PST 2008

He's ok but we need some drool. (this is a bit long - sorry)

So yesterday I was just minding my business sitting through 5 hours of
class when all of the sudden I got a call from the dadperson. He was
absolutely panicked and told me that Watson had been hit by a car.
Apparently, they were cleaning out the garage, and while they were
taking a break, Watson snuck out the screen door and took himself for
a walk. DP was in our bedroom checking his email when he heard Watson
howling and crying as he does when he's severely injured. I don't know
if this is a Basset thing or a Watson thing, but when Watson is hurt,
he goes into a panicked loud repetitive cry/howl that one can hear for
miles around. It strikes fear into our heart when we hear it....and
unfortunately, we've heard it a lot in Watson's short life.

The DP got up and started searching through the house thinking that
Jack - my parent's border collie - had bitten Watson (again). DP
couldn't find Watson in the house or the yard but could still hear the
howling. He then noticed that the door to the garage was open so he
headed outside and ran down the street towards the noise. We live
about 6 houses down from a pretty busy street. Once DP got to the
corner, he spotted Watson laying in the street. He was still howling
but that tail started wagging as soon as DP got there. DP was
horrified and went over to help Watson when a lady in a truck stopped
to help. She took DP and Watson to her vet where they did x-rays and
all that stuff. DP called me once they got to the vet and I drove the
90 minutes back to Colorado. I didn't make it to the vet's office
before they were done, but I barely beat them home.

Miraculously, Watson has no internal injuries (that we know of or
could look for) or broken bones - only a cut in between his toes on
his back left leg that needed stitches, a cut on his head, and a bunch
of road rash. He's incredibly sore and waaayyy out of it. They had to
sedate him to do the stitches and clean the abrasions that are all
over his body and that stuff lasted all night. I think now he's not
moving around much because he hurts so much. He is on tramadol,
rimadyl and cephalexin. Hopefully we can manage his pain and make him
comfortable. That road rash looks absolutely awful and super painful.
I feel so bad for him and guilty that we couldn't keep him safe.

I know that it was an accident and that this person probably did
everything they could to miss Watson and minimize his injuries. I am
just so outraged that they didn't stop and instead drove off and left
him there crying in the street. I am also so grateful for the woman
who stopped and helped Watson and DP and that it all worked out.
Watson is such a great dog and so much more than a family pet. He's my
baby boy and I am so happy he's still here with me. I know things
could have been so much worse.

So, please if you could spare some drool for Watson's pain, we could
really use it. I can just see that he's hurting and it breaks my
heart. We've already heard from some people on facebook and want to
thank them for their kind thoughts and drool already flung this way.

Thanks everyone,
Katie, Nicanor (Dadperson), and Watson (ouch mommy I hurt a lot!)