[Dailydrool] Potty Problems

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Thu Nov 13 12:57:40 PST 2008

Sounds to me as if your hound is right on training schedule. It really IS true: Bassets take longer to train. And no compulsion will make it happen sooner. Pushing a hound into potty training is counterproductive, because any hound is more stubborn than any human.

When I was straining to train Jane, I came to your point. Sometimes she was really good. Then she'd act as if she'd forgotten everything, and I'd feel as if we were back to square one (though we weren't). My vet opined that it was possible that bassets' long anatomy had something to do with the difficulty training. If she was just trying to take the pressure off me, it worked. I started being more patient, and voila, Jane was trained shortly thereafter. Jane's never had an un-spite-related potty problem since then--and even the spite-filled events are very rare.

Five months old is rather early for potty training to be complete in a basset. But persistency and consistency will get you a well-trained hound. You have to keep doing what you're doing until the hound decides it's a good idea to be potty trained. Use plenty of treats and praise when the hound does the right thing, and eventually it will happen.

Tell hubby to relax and go at a basset pace. Using gentle training methods will get you there, but probably not at five months of age. If he wants to get rid of the dog now, keep his imagination active--by ten months you could have a perfectly potty trained dog, if he's willing to hang in there. But every basset will decide what age is good to "get it," and there's no rushing that.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets