[Dailydrool] Questions for reputable breeders

sylviemcgee at comcast.net sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Sun Nov 23 14:26:54 PST 2008

Yes, you should expect to get "grilled", although I certainly hope that it was polite, if extensive. We put our hopes, dreams, and months of our lives into raising those pups - so they are not going off to anyone's home without a really good understanding of what their new life might look like.

The "average" life expectancy I most often hear for Bassets is 10 or so. That said, my dogs come down from bloodlines where a number of generations lived to 15. And, I produced a puppy who died untimely this year at age 8. His siblings are all healthy and doing well. He was not as fortunate. Dogs, like people, are individuals - some will live longer, some not. It's a hard truth. But it is a question I would ask any breeder, how long most of their dogs have lived - even understanding that some individuals will not conform to the norm, either way.

Cost - varies a lot. I know an excellent and reputable breeder who sells for around $500 - this is *unusually* low. Generally the low end from breeder/exhibitors is going to be $700-800. I also know excellent and reputable breeders who ask $1,500+. At whatever level, purchase price is always a "down payment" on the true cost of ownership, that's been my experience! ;)

Hope this is helpful.

Sylvie McGee
HeavenScent Bassets
Olympia WA