[Dailydrool] Peticures

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 13:07:39 PDT 2008

Ok folks, we actually use the Peticure  in the Grooming dept. One of our
clients bought them for Annette (head groomer) to try and to keep. She says
it requires some practice to learn to use them the right way, but that
they're pretty nice. Of course, what Annette does is clip the nails and then
use the Peticure, so that's kind of cheating. It is quieter than a regular
Dremel, and there are holes of various sizes through which you insert the
nail. If you put the nail in a hole bigger than it should be in, it's going
to end up quicking the dog anyway. The advantage to a Dremel (which is what
this really is, with a cover on it) is that when you DO quick, it seals so
it doesn't bleed, and  you don't have an hysterical
dog flapping his bloody foot all over the place while you try to grab it and
get some Quik-Stop on it, which of course, the dog does not want you to do.
I always end up looking as if I had just butchered hogs all afternoon.
Anyway back to business. Yes, it works.Yes, it is nice. Yes, it is a great
concept. And Yes, most dogs did not seem to mind it very much. You do have
to learn to roll your wrist with it, and instructions are nil to none. And
best of all, at least for breeds with hairy feet like Cooper, it keeps the
hair from getting caught in the wheel of the Dremel.

Two stories:
1. A groomer of our acquaintance was using a regular Dremel on a dog when
the dog jerked his foot hard, hit the groomer's hand holding the Dremel and
her hand, still holding the running Dremel hit her head, AND HER HAIR. I am
laughing as I write this, but I am not the one with the big bald spot in the
front of my hairline, either.
2. I,personally, have shortened Cooper's tail using a regular Dremel when he
jerked his foot and sent my hand skittering into his beautiful, long,
elegant black plumey tail. This may be one of the reasons that he refuses to
come into the house when I have the Dremel in my hands...

The Bassets generally do not mind the Dremel except for Mitchell, who likes
to have Doc do his nails, just for fun.

MomPerson to Nigel (oh do mine!) Llewis (Do mine if I get a treat) Mitchell
(Where's Doc?) and Cooper (GETAWAYGETAWAY!!)