[Dailydrool] Counter cruising

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Thu Oct 2 12:29:12 PDT 2008

Counter cruising is a funny thing. Some dogs do it, others never bother at all--and some just do it once in a while, for something special and tasty that's sitting on the counter.

Our Lady Jane, who ain't no lady and is 11 years old, is an extraordinary counter cruiser. I have caught her bouncing repeatedly to reach the back of the stove. A mostly flat stove gave her a lot of help, since it gave her front paws traction, but she hasn't managed to get anything on the back of the stove since we bought a stove with only grates on top. So if you're buying a new stove, keep that in mind.

The only sure cure for counter cruising is to keep everything out of the dog's reach--that means at least twice as far up as you think the hound can reach. Bassets' are amazingly stretchable. They don't call them stretch beagles for nothing!

A huge help in our house has been gating off the kitchen. As long as you remember to close the gate, you're safe. But those wonderful basset noses and paws will keep you on your toes when it comes to gatekeeping. They'll try to outwit you at every turn.

Counter cruising never ends. I've never figured out what starts it, but I'm certain that nothing I can do will stop it. I've spent 11 years trying....
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets