[Dailydrool] Goats and recycled food for dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 03:49:33 PDT 2008

One of my dogs is a Belgian Sheepdog. His uncle was good on sheep and had
several minor (basically insignificant) titles working sheep. At about 1 yr
I took Cooper (this Belgian) out to see how he was on sheep. He was not
impressed. He chased them around for a few minutes, pissed on the corral
posts and then wandered around snarfing sheep poop. we went home.
About a year later we tried again. This time he grabbed the sheep and when
corrected he just quit-- if he couldn't catch them and eat them, what was
the point? He peed on the corral posts and ate a lot of sheep poop.
The third time he trotted around the corral, peed on the posts, wouldn't
even LOOK at the sheep, but ate a lot of poop. So much for sheepherding.
I think eating the poop of vegetarian animals is a common and possibly
instinctive thing, and I doubt that you can stop a dog from doing it, other
than making the poop inaccessible. Maybe work on a "leave it" command?
I have never tried the Bassets on sheep but I suspect Llewis would make
friends, Nigel would hide, and Mitchell would eat poop and find a warm spot
in the sun to take a nap;

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper (no thanks.)