[Dailydrool] Foods for pancreatic issues.

Alan Folsom alan at folsoms.net
Sat Oct 11 10:43:14 PDT 2008

Shortly after we got Ginger back in March, she developed a problem with
chronic loose stools.  After trying several solutions, the vet did a
blood test, and determined that she had low levels of vitamin B, and put
her on a sequence of shots.  That's now over, her stools are fine, and a
follow-up test showed the B Levels to be fine.  They did however reveal
a high level of pancreatic enzyme.  The vet explained this as being 700,
when normal level is 0-200.  She wants me to put her on a new food,
looking for the words 'sensitive diet', 'low fat' or 'low residue.' in
the description.  To complicate matters, Ginger is that rarest of
hounds, a fussy eater.  The last time we had her on one of those foods
when we were trying to solve the stool problem, she absolutely refused
to eat it, and would tip her bowl over in disgust.  Even now we're
feeding her a normal variety of Bil-Jac, and to get her to eat it, I
chop up 6-7 of the little liver treats you use for training, mix them in
to  the Bil-Jac, and add water to make a gravy.  THAT she'll eat.

Does anyone have any recommendations for low fat or special diet foods
for a fussy eater?  She was perfectly happy when I was feeding her
boiled chicken and rice constantly, but I'm not sure how long I could
keep doing that.

Thanks,
Al