[Dailydrool] (no subject)

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Fri Oct 17 05:43:47 PDT 2008

<< I don't feel like we should live in a house where we have to watch everything like prison guards.>>

Well, you may feel that way, but it doesn't change what that counter-cruising hound thinks.

There is only one way to keep such a hound out of trouble. Put things where they cannot be reached. That means put them up twice as high as you think your hound can get. It's amazing what a determined hound will do to get something tasty. That could include the TV remote, your cell phone, bread, meat, or carrots (and that's just a short list!).

I've been there. Jane has counter cruised her whole life. She's eaten more TV remotes than I care to think of; she's chewed on a reasonably new pair of glasses (bifocals, of course, so they'd be really expensive), cookbooks, anything leather, oh the list goes on and on.

Once you get in the habit of assessing what things your hound is interested in and making them unavailable, it's not all that hard. I gave up on having leather gloves. It's just too dangerous, should Jane get one stuck in her stomach. But most other things I've just put up high, shut in a cupboard, or otherwise made inaccessible.

The best thing we ever did was gate off our kitchen. It makes meal preparation a lot easier and safer.

As for the can of pennies, it did nothing with Jane, but a spray bottle filled with water was very helpful. After a few squirts, all you have to do is pick up the bottle and maybe shake it--a kind and gentle attitude adjuster.

You will never really change a counter cruiser, but you can work around her.
Pam, food slave of the Dashing Bassets (only one of whom counter cruises)