[Dailydrool] The "poor 3-legged basset"

froggie froggie0310 at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 20 16:42:26 PDT 2008

People meet Jeremiah for the first time and immediately feel sorry for the tripod.   As a Special Ed teacher I find myself convincing them that he ought not to be the object of pity not just because he is just disabled and not handicapped, but because he has well overcome the notion that he cannot do the same things as 4-legged bassets.  I constantly find him ON my kitchen table, hopping around.  He sits on the coffee table.  He gets on our bed by way of the blanket chest at the foot of it.  He gets his front paws up onto the windowsills at the front of the house to look out over the neighborhood, balancing precariously on his one back leg.

I recently bought a papasan chair at a thrift shop.  I love sitting in it--and so does Jeremiah.  I was all cozy in it last week with a cup of tea and a fleece blanket pulled around me when out of nowhere he came flying through the air and landed in my lap (spilling hot tea everywhere and plopping his behind on my chest!)  The kids found this hysterical as no one ever saw him take his running start.  Well, I witnessed it today.  I was sitting at my computer desk in the dining room when I hear a thundering (well, as much as a 3-legged 40 lb basset can hop thunderously!) and all of a sudden he sails through the air and lands in the middle of the papasan.

Don't ever feel sorry for a three legged dog!

Susan and the Hoptown  Bassets + 7
Murphy, Jeremiah, Twinkie, Walter, Rusty Paws (ATB),Sammy (ATB), Nellie (ATB), Barney Boy (ATB) &  Bert(ATB), Bianca(ATB), Sapper, Joyful Bitty, Kristie Bitty, Ginger, Danica, Poppi and Flappers
Bluegrass Basset Rescue, Inc
A Basset is an Asset!