[Dailydrool] Basset Legs

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 13:23:47 PDT 2008

Bassets should have elbows that are nice and tight next to the body. The
upper arm should curve just slightly under the body for balance and the
lower foreleg should be straight. If feet point outward they should do so
only slightly and at the same angle. Feet that are seriously easty-westy
(pointing in the opposite direction) are to be avoided. Knuckling over at
the knee is a serious fault.  At least, this is what I have been taught.
There are others on the list who know better than I what the legs should be
like.
However it is my opinion that since Bassets are basically cute, funny,
intelligent mutants, they ARE mutants and I believe they all --or most of
them-- are prone to developing arthritis and other bone and muscle problems
that many other more "normal" breeds avoid. Plus that is a lot of weight on
those legs, and sturdy as they are-- Basset legs should also have "good
bone"--in other words, be large-boned and heavy--and eventually it is going
to take a toll.
For that reason I start my Bassets on Dasuquin, the 2nd generation of
Cosequin which is glucosamine/chondroitin when they are about 8months old,
and they stay on it forever.
This is just my understanding of the structure of the leg. Probably any of
the show people/breeders have a better understanding of it than I do.
I thought I had a book with pictures of Basset fronts, but I cannot find it.
Maybe the dogs ate it.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper