[Dailydrool] Fighting Puppies

sylviemcgee at comcast.net sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 09:45:56 PDT 2008

Hi, Joan,

Puppy *play* can actually sound like World War III - it's a developmental stage they go through. I have a litter here that is 10 weeks old and they often sound like they are tearing each other apart limb by limb - and this can go on for an hour, but then minutes later, they are in a pile together asleep.

So...

- How old are the pups?
- When you say they are fighting horribly, what is actually happening? Is there blood involved? How much?
- Do they ever settle down around each other or hang out without conflict? If yes, what happens then?
- Are they being fed separately, and do they have separate crates for rest time and breaks?

If you can give some more information, we'll be better able to give you feedback...

Thanks,

Sylvie McGee
HeavenScent Bassets
Olympia, WA