[Dailydrool] Dear Moderators

sylviemcgee at comcast.net sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Wed Oct 29 09:16:12 PDT 2008

> We aren't capable of taking care of ourselves for long periods of time because
we will pick fights with our brothers and sisters. That's why we all need
you to be our babysitters. We think we are old enough to take care of
ourselves, but it has been proven time and time again that we simply can't.

Yolanda, I respectfully disagree with this opinion.

I believe that people are *more* likely to behave with courtesy and consideration when moderation is retrospective - meaning that messages are sent through without review initially, and moderators intervene only when list rules are broken.

I'm on a very active list called Showdogs-L, with about 3,000 members both in the US and overseas. All messages initially post without review. Moderators step in only for rule violations. Of course they have to intervene sometimes, but I believe that it is pretty rare. They don't hesitate to slap a hand when listmembers get out of line - but list members generally police themselves quite nicely - and when offensive posts are occasionally made, people don't rise to the bait very easily. Generally, all that is required is that someone ask for a clarification - we've all written something at some point that "came out wrong", and people often appreciate the opportunity to clarify what they were *actually* trying to say.

I beliee that given some responsibility for acting courteously, we'll see that people are indeed able to step up to the plate in this forum as well.

Sylvie McGee
HeavenScent Bassets
Olympia WA
sylviemcgee at comcast.net