[Dailydrool] Fostering

Sherry Faulkner saf47 at cableone.net
Mon Sep 8 06:52:26 PDT 2008

I would like to thank Sylvie for her plea for foster homes. On average,
Ozark Mountain Basset Rescue is having to turn away 3-5 dogs a week, and
  being the person in charge of intake, I am the one that has to deny
these dogs a space in our rescue. My first step is to try to find a
rescue to take the dog, but all rescues are overcrowded today and it's
becoming nearly impossible to find help for a dog in jeopardy of losing
it's life. When no rescue is available, it's heartbreaking to know I am
literally handing them a death sentence.

There are many reasons to foster, but the first ones that come to mind
are that 1.) Your basset will enjoy having a friend around - remember,
they're pack animals; 2.) Having another dog around will often make your
job easier - your dog and the foster will entertain each other; 3.)You
won't be out any expense other than dog food, unless like most foster
parents you want to buy things like toys and treats; and 4.)and most
importantly, you will be directly responsibile for saving a wonderful
dog's life.

The Daily Drool <www.dailydrool.com> has a comprehensive list of
rescues. Please look at that list, find one closest to you, and contact
them today about fostering.

Of course, it is sometimes difficult to give up a foster to a new home
and each one that leaves you will take a little piece of your heart. But
that hole is immediately filled with the joy of knowing without you,
that dog would probably have died. It's a fact of life, and a
heartbreaking fact, it is.

My husband and I have personally fostered over 100 dogs in the past 7
years. Some have been long term fosters, and some for as short a period
as a day or two. All are different, and all are special. And yes, we
have failed fostering on occasion, too, and that's okay.

Sherry Faulkner, President
Ozark Mountain Basset Rescue, Inc.
Fayetteville, Arkansas