[Dailydrool] Humphery's Campaign for OEBE Status

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 11:47:15 PDT 2008

For a 10-month-old basset, Humphrey is usually surprisingly calm and
well-behaved. He sits. He stays. He doesn't touch his food or treats without
permission. And generally, he doesn't steal or destroy things.

Humphrey has been SO GOOD lately that we were even able to keep all the food
on the table at our party last Thursday night for Obama's speech. Chips,
guac, salsa, cupcakes, eggplant bruschetta, even a platter of oysters. He
gave the food wistful sniffs and hound dog eyes, but never once tried to
touch anything.

And then, Labor Day Weekend happened. Or, what we're now calling,
"Humphrey's On-Going Campaign of Revenge for Not Giving Him Any Obama Party
Food, Especially Oysters and Cupcakes (According to Sir Humphrey Himself)."

Here's the score so far:

1. Chewed 3 inches off the back of one of my $250 Frye boots. I can still
wear them with pants, but will never again be able to wear them with a
dress. Which was a really cute combination, previously.
2. Chewed 2 huge, gaping holes in the Oriental runner rug given to us by
Kit's parents. Chewed right down to the backing.
3. Destroyed 2 entire rolls of toilet paper. We have had Humphrey since
January and this is the first time he's ever attacked the toilet paper.
4. Tore up Kit's hospital bill from when he nearly severed his index finger
last month.
5. Tore off the eyes and then removed the innards of Every. Single. Stuffie.
he owns (that's 7 stuffies, for those keeping score).
6. Got into the groceries while I was washing my hands in the bathroom and
ate: one package of seitan (he left the box for me to clean up) and one pint
of cherry tomatoes that had cost me $5 at the Green Market (grrr!)
7. Chewed 2 doorstops to woodchips at the office.
8. Stole and ate 2 plums from a bowl on the desk in Kit's Dad's office. We
only figured it out when we found the two pits on the floor in Humphrey's
favorite spot.
9. Knocked my coffee over onto the wireless keyboard, which drowned to
death, and had to be replaced ($85)

I'm waiting - make that cringing - to see what OEBE Campaign deed #10 will
be.

We send drool to all in need, especially all the families grieving over a
loss of a loved one right now - especially especially Ruthie Beattie and
Miss Beasley. Our hearts go out to you.

-Rebecca & Humphrey
HumphreyTV (Humphrey on Vimeo) <http://www.vimeo.com/user651125>
Humphrey on Dogster <http://www.dogster.com/dogs/740464>