[Dailydrool] Setting Limits

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 20:22:21 PDT 2008

Zelda (ATB) was a great deal like CBL's Sally. We laughed but she was
absolutely serious. No male ever made moves on her unless she wanted them
to. The Irish Wolfhound who tried to nail her (so to speak) at a dog show
nearly lost his nose. His owner was furious but we were merely walking to
the ring and she was in season, and i walked through the crowd saying BITCH
IN SEASON BITCH IN SEASON (it was packed.) She was not yet interested in
anyone and this dog nearly killed his owner trying to get her. I always
thought it was the Wolfhound's fault. Zelda was just a bitch in
season,that's all. (She had enough leash to keep from choking,and that was
about it. I mean, she wasn't out there at the end of a leash,taunting the
boys.)
When she had the puppies we put an ex pen 4 feet high across the room
entrance and a sheet over the ex-pen so the boys couldn't get curious enough
about puppy noises to poke their noses in and upset Zelda. Unfortunately
that was the also the access to the outside,and every time the boys went  to
go out, Zelda would stick her nose under the edge of the sheet and snarl.
Stopped in their tracks, the boys then had to have a human escort in and out
of the house EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I have no idea how she would have been with another bitch. I never had the
nerve to even seriously contemplate it.

Spaying her made absolutely no difference in her outlook about other dogs.
The boys seem kind of disorganized without her.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis,Mitchell and Cooper
(and Zelda, always missed.)