[Dailydrool] Breed Intolerance & Training advice

jacanny at aol.com jacanny at aol.com
Thu Sep 11 17:32:42 PDT 2008

I had no ideas that so many bassets didn't like other breeds.  So far our two just seem to like any dog.  They seem to believe that every other dog is put on this earth - - just to play with them.  MacKenzie is fearless around big dogs. She likes to take them out at the knees and wrestle.  Gallagher is going down the same path.  Of course their favorite big dog is Cysco the Golden.  At his advanced age, he's learned it's safer to play with them while he's lying down.  There are many different dogs in my family and so far, they've responded well.  I'll just have to watch out for patterns.

I do need some advice for dealing with 2 issues with Gallagher (almost 4 months).  He's a chewer.  The spray I bought to keep him from the furniture seems to only make it tastier to him.  He actually licked the stuff off. (four paws - "Keep Off! Naturally")  It worked with MacKenzie - but not him.  The other issue - crate training.  I think the issue is convincing my husband that he (Gallagher) needs to be in the crate at all times, unless he's being played with (supervised), eating, or outside.  While MacKenzie was a bit more resistant than some of our other dogs, she got it and has been great.  Perhaps if I read him something from the Drool - he'll believe me.