[Dailydrool] Other breeds

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 13:11:17 PDT 2008

While our Elsinore and young Charlie are partial to playing with
other bassets, neither has met a dog they haven't liked. They'll play
with anyone who wants to play with them, regardless of breed. I've
seen them at the dog park play just as happily with a beagle or a
terrier as with a German shepherd or a Great Dane. Charlie is
especially fond of buppies, sometimes in a "da Moose" kind of way but
sometimes less offensively, too.

It's quite freeing to have dogs who don't discriminate and can get
along with everyone. Soon after we adopted her, our late, great Jane
Basset was bitten on the rump by a black lab that exploded out of
nowhere while we were all out for a walk. Jane was on a leash, but
the attacking dog was not, of course, and Ken had to kick it away.

After that, Jane was afraid of big, black dogs for the rest of her
life, whether they were actively threatening her or not. A few years
of the attack and she let her fear expand to include all big dogs of
any color, and she began to go on the offensive whenever she saw one.
It made walking her difficult because we'd have to cross the street
if we saw a big dog approaching us; otherwise Jane would say
something incredibly ugly to it. It's really nice not to have to
worry about that happening with Elsinore and Charlie. I can count on
them getting along with everyone.

Elizabeth