[Dailydrool] Bad to the bone!!!

Jessica Sutton Jessica at fmprofessionals.com
Fri Sep 12 13:33:27 PDT 2008

I had to share this story, since I know that most of you will truly
understand... This morning I went down to let the girls out of their
"crate", which is really our laundry room/pantry and is the size of one
of our children's bedrooms...but I digress.  I opened the baby gate and
they ran outside to potty, like always...and then I turned back around
and caught a glance of the pantry!!  They had quite a night!!!  Two
walls in this room have shelves from the floor to the ceiling, and we
store all of our canned goods, boxed food, etc. in there. Well, I'm
smart enough to know that all of that must be out of reach of the basset
babes or it will be gone, duh, right??  Well, apparently, I have
underestimated the level of ingenuity and creativity possessed by my
hound dogs.  There was a big bag of cat food (from the 5th shelf up,
about SHOULDER high on me) on the floor with a big hole in the middle of
it, and only the crumbs of what was once cat food left at the bottom.  I
couldn't figure out for the life of me how on earth they could possibly
have gotten up there.  There's no way!!!  I started fussing at the
2-leggers for leaving the cat food out, but they were all completely
sure they didn't do it.  So what happened, you ask?  Now, remember,
these are the two who managed to figure out that if Sophie sat on the
foot petal and lifted the lid, Diva could reach into the "dog-proof"
garbage can and snatch the goodies...so I shouldn't be so shocked, but
still, I am.  They managed to push/pull/maneuver an ottoman that was in
the opposite corner of the room beside the ironing board all the way
over to the wall and then they climbed on top of it, stood with back
paws on the bottom shelf, reached up to the 5th shelf, and nudged the
bag of food over to the edge until they got it to fall off onto the
floor.  I swear to you I am not making this up.  I caught Diva standing
on the ottoman going for the bag of rawhide bones on the 4th shelf right
before I left for work, and that's how I found out how they got up
there.  She looked like a deer in headlights, too.  I can't believe they
managed to pull this off.  Wow.  My main concern now is that they will
start to meow and rub all over my legs and purr.  That was a lot of cat
food.  Wow.

Jessica L. Sutton - still in shock.