[Dailydrool] My Sadie is limping

Carol Evans cmevans1953 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 17:39:08 PDT 2008

Hi Karen,
I had a similar problem with Murphy when he was younger. He would get up and lip and sometimes even wimper. He to was only about 6 month at the time. The vet I had at the time (I left him after this incident) told me basset hounds were basicly orthapedic disasters and I should probably put Murphy down then. I cried all the way home (you see I had already been bitten by the basset hound bug) Only by luck my negihbor came over and wanted to know what was wrong, when I explain through my tears. She told me she had work for another vet in town and that if anything could be done it would be with him. I called the next morning and they took  Murphy in right away. After X-rays and a through exam Dr. Todd said Murphy was fine and that because Basset hounds have such large bone sometimes they grow faster then the bones or the bones grown faster then the dog  that he would be fine. Dr. Todd said not to walk him for long distances and to block the stair off  for
 awhile he also put Murphy on Rimadyl of 5 days. Dr. Todd also said the probelm would probably continue until Murphy was about 2. I have Rimadyl that I can give him if he seems to be having a problem. Murphy is now 5 and the love of my life, I am so glad I went to another vet. Hope everthing work out for you too.
Murphy's Mom