[Dailydrool] Drool, a dog food query, a couple of books, and other news...

L.K. Metzler toppogigio at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 18:06:40 PDT 2008

Drool to all who are mourning, healing, waiting, hoping, rescuing, rescued, and anything else that needs a little drool to make things better....  The houndies here are working overtime to do their share of drool-slinging to those in need.  Hugs to all.

  A question:  I feed my "senior" houndie kids a blend of Nutro Weight Management and Nutro Dental to help keep them from getting too fluffy and to keep their teeth in good shape.  So far, everything is working and everybody eats like champs.  The problem is, Nutro has temporarily stopped making their Dental formula due to the difficulty in getting the "makin's" in the quality and quantity they want.  So, I am trying to find a substitute Dental-type dog food in the meantime.  I tried Science Diet Oral Care, but to a hound, they HATED IT...actually picked the big chunks of the kibble out of their bowls.  So far, I have not had much luck finding another "tooth" dog food.  Does someone out there in Drool-Land know of one that I might be able to get ahold of?

  I keep everybody's teeth busy with hard "shank" and knuckle bones, "dental" cookies (oddly enough Nutro still makes those...), and other good chewies, but I'd really like to find that kibble to add to their regular food.

  For those who are grieving over houndies who have gone to the Bridge, I would recommend two books.  The first is a children's book called "Dog Heaven"  by Cynthia Rylant.  I discovered it quite by accident one late night at the emergency vet's office while waiting for our old Andy-bird (atb) to be treated.  It's a beautiful book, bright colors in the illustrations, but a simple and straightforward telling of what we all hope dog heaven is like--including a short passage about dogs who have no homes when they go to the Bridge.  It had me in tears...I went to Amazon the next day and bought several copies for myself and friends.

  The second book is called "God Gets a Dog", and it is by Patrick M. Sheridan.  This book is really more for adult readers, but older teens might also enjoy it.  The central character dogs are Doxies--Elvis and Mozart, and St. Peter, God, and Jesus also appear in the story. The story is wonderfully funny, slightly irreverent in a rather reverent way, and just a fun read.  That one I found at Amazon, too, while buying "Dog Heaven".

  On a silly note, "slave training" in our house has really taken a turn....  Pelly has my Mom absolutely trained, and she has him absolutely spoiled.  He now has his very own box of Honey Nut Cheerios (and special container!!), and every morning he drags his bowl under our glass breakfast table, sits, and "mooooos" until Mom gives him his Cheerios in his bowl.  He used to eat them off of the floor, but decided that he liked them better in his bowl (fewer parrot feathers, I guess).  This dog will definitely not have high cholesterol!

  Baby Adelaide ("Addie-gator) comes home from the vetspital tomorrow---if Hurricane Ike doesn't blow us all here in central Texas to perdition--after her spay surgery.  She is a "fat and sassy" 5 month old 30+ pound tri-colored ADD/ADHD baby kangaroo, er...Basset.  I believe she is part rubber or has springs in her short legs, because she leaps and jumps and launches herself through the air like a wild thing, and has thoroughly bamfoozled her older Brother Pelly and Sisters Penelope and Jasmine.  They are exhausted each evening playing with her and by her antics, but have been absolutely lost without her for the past couple of days while she has been away.  (IShe's so rambunctious here at home, I thought it would be better for her to have a couple of days of enforced quiet/rest in the vetspital than to be home and tempted to run solo Basset 500's a dozen times a day.)  So, tomorrow morning, in the midst of whatever Hurricane Ike delivers to our part of the world, Hurricane
 Addie-Lou Roo will come home.  I don't know whether to ask the vet for doggie tranquilizers for her or for us.  Do they really expect her to be "quiet" for a whole week???  LOL

  Again, heartfelt drool to all who are in need....

  Lisa Metzler
  San Marcos, Texas

  Penelope, Jasmine, Pelly, and Addie-Lou Roo the Kangaroo Puppy