[Dailydrool] Bassets eating from shelves

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Sat Sep 13 09:54:59 PDT 2008

Can I believe bassets could move a couch and eat off shelves? You better believe it.

Our Jane has not really moved a couch, but she has eaten off our mantelpiece. She climbs up on the back of the couch and reaches out--sometimes a very long way. I used to think this was a safe place to put food, if I had an emergency, but after she got things a couple of times, I changed my mind. Even when I thought I had it so far down that she could never get it, the little imp managed to get it. Now the only things I put there are pictures and other such objects.

When Abner's behaviorist came here, I told him how Jane will ring the "I want to go outside" bells to get me off the couch. He was amazed at her reasoning ability--until then he was telling me dogs just don't think that way. I don't think he gives bassets enough credit. They are very sneaky and very smart. It's a good thing they don't have opposable thumbs, 'cause then we'd never be able to stop them.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets