[Dailydrool] The "Poor Thing" Syndrome

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 12:11:12 PDT 2008

Bassets are experts at making us feel guilty whether we have done something
wrong or not. A skilled Basset makes us feel guilty when he eats our pair of
very best leather sandals because we forgot to put them away and now he
might get sick!  Do you see the error in this thinking? If not, read the
sentence until you do,making your Basset hound wait outside the computer
room while you think about it.

Not being allowed near each other because your Basset thinks it isn't
appropriate and is a rescue and therefore a "poor little thing" is not
acceptable. This is a Basset with a "Rule the Roost"complex and you, dear
woman,are holding the short and dirty end of the stick.

Get a handle on this now: Put a leash on her in the house and if she
complains at what you are doing tell her NO and march her into a crate for
ten minutes-- no more. Be extremely consistent.Do not be rough, do not be
loud, NEVER hit your Basset unless you are fully prepared to accept the
consequences which can be anything from total submission to a real attack.
NEVER EVER try the "alpha roll" on this girl. You will lose.
If she continues, then get some help from Rescue. In fact, you might call
Rescue first to see what ideas they have-- probably way better than mine. My
point is that "PoorLittle Thing" is not a valid defense, and your Basset
needs to learn some alternative behavior.

Good Luck.
MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and  Cooper