[Dailydrool] One More Joins My Heavenly Pack ....

Lenore Dickinson storybookbassets at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 19 06:53:14 PDT 2008

Although not unexpected, it is with a very heavy heart that I tell you that my sweet Priscilla Marie went to join her pack in the sky.  As some of you know she was a senior girl, being at least 13 and maybe closer to 15, her health had been failing and I knew it was simply a matter of time. She seemed to have rallied and was very spritely over the weekend and earlier in the week. However, last night when I got home, she had had several accidents and needed help getting outside.  She was even too weak in the back end to stand up to pee.
I had some cooked chicken breast so I hand fed that to her – she wouldn’t eat it on her own – and just held her.  I was up with her most of the night.  She had several bouts of diarrhea and couldn’t get out of her own way.  I kept her cleaned up, but I now know it’s time for me to let her go. I think she rallied herself and stayed until I could start to get over Olivia’s death, but I think she gave me all she could give.
By the time it was time to go, I had to borrow a stretcher from my vet.  I think she rather enjoyed that – picture Cleopatra on her great barge.  Her strength was spent, but being Pris, her tail wagged to the last.  That’s the thing most folks remember about Pris – basically if she was awake, her tail was wagging.  And she took great pleasure in the simple things of life.  Her favorite place on earth (other than snuggled on the big bed with me and the rest of her pack) was the beach.  She’d smell the ocean, pop her head through the bucket seats looking at me eagerly wagging her tail.  And when I’d say “Yes, Pris we’re going to the beach,” she’d begin that happy dance, most only reserve for food, in the back of the jeep.  And porch swings … my lord how she loved porch swings.  She’d get people to help her up and then push the swing back and forth.  She loved that so much.  She was simply the happiest and sweetest dog that ever lived.
And tough – my god she was tough – she made it through being dumped on a logging road 22.5 pounds overweight with a still oozing C-section scar, a run in with and bout of Campylobacter, pancreatitis, and a broken back.  In the end it was a nasty cancer and failing liver that got to her – at least that’s what the vets tell me.  Personally, I think she just missed Oliver (her first puppy – regardless of the fact that she didn’t give birth to him) and Olivia (the only puppy Abby ever let her keep).
She didn’t even last until the vet had put all of the euthanasia solution in.  I was sitting next to her, stroking her and telling her it was okay to go.  She had her head in my hand.  She rubbed her chin against the palm of my hand, gave a deep sigh and one last wag of her tail and was gone. God speed Prissy Marie.  You take care of everyone until mommy joins you.

Lenore