[Dailydrool] Angel with a crooked halo

julie haegele jules56pt at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 21 06:04:05 PDT 2008

I really hate having to type this.  I did it last night and something ate it I guess.  It is cloudy and rain is expected.  There is very little noise.  No one is barking or growling or bellowing.  The houndage is still asleep.  It is too quiet.  Something is missing this morning.  And always will be.  Our Sweet Sunflower Surprise, Sunny, went to the Bridge yesterday at around 10:00 am.  Our mean girl is gone.  She has her halo, but knowing her it is on crooked.

She had steadily been going down hill for months.  Her weight dropped, she had tumors, her breathing was difficult at times.  Still, she ruled the hallway and door openings with an iron paw.  She kept everyone in line always.  She lived for the times her boy would come home to visit.  He was the only person she truely loved.  He could carry her around, sleep next to her and play with her without getting bit.  The rest of us she merely tolerated.

She was very lethrgic this week.  By Thursday she wouldn't even pick up her head when I came home from work.  I called Josh(her boy) and asked if he wanted to come see her and then I called the vet.  I didn't want Sunny to be so miserable any more.  Josh came on Friday and by the time I came home from work, Sunny was up and bellowing at the others.  She even came to the door.  Her boy could work wonders.  I called the vet back and changed the appt. to a checkup.

Josh and I took her in to let the vet have a look.  She was not positive.  She said we could take her home for the weekend but she shouldn't be allowed to go on after that.  Her heart was giving out and her breathing was becoming too difficult.  So... we decided to let her go.  My husband met us at the vet's and all three of us held on to her as she died.  Josh has taken this really hard.  He is 21 and has had Sunny since he was 9.  I know he is hurting right now so if anyone could sling some comforting drool his way it would be appreciated.

We brought her home and buried her in the garden next to Kitty Carson and Sherlock.  Josh and the Dad did that.  I couldn't go out there.  I can't believe the old groucy coot is gone.  I was sure I could hear her tags jingling out in the yard yesterday.

Sunny, may you run and play and find a little sunshine to brighten your soul.  I miss you so much, my grouchy little girl.
Sweet Sunflower Surprise 1995ish-September 20, 2008.

Julie, the mom