[Dailydrool] the off command

Mary Mischelle Kemp mmischellekemp at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 23 14:19:17 PDT 2008

"The "off" command is used just for that, having a dog get "off" somethinglike get off the couch; get off the sink; get off the visitor; get off themaillady, etc..."

I learned the "off" command at an obedience class with my first basset in '91. Since then many people have changed to "leave it" but at the time "off" is what they were teaching. As long as it works for you and your dog what difference does it make? It's just a word that you attach a meaning to for your dog.  I prefer "off" because it is easier to say than "leave it" and I'm not much of one for change or retraining my dogs. I also like using commands that are different from what everyone else uses anyway, then other people can't use common commands with my dogs. Instead of "stay" I use "wait", I use "with me" instead of heel" I use "move" instead of "off " something, and "my side" when I want them to walk on the same side of a pole or tree as I do. I take Tas and Fiz with me as many places as possible and the differences in commands make it so I'm in command not someone else. It works for us, doesn't mean it will for everyone, but it does for us. If someone wants to snicker at us, let them

Mary, Pw. Tasselhoff and Fizban