[Dailydrool] Dogs and gum

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 6 12:13:57 PDT 2009

I am sure lots of people will reply but Dogs + sugarfree gum = NO NO  Xylitol is deadly to dogs and the 'stick' type of sugarfree gum is the kind that has it.  I have seen the 'chicklet' type without - but we are keeping a gum-free household just to be sure.

Please check to see if the gum your dog consumed had Xylitol and if it did - call your vet right away!

I have a friend whose little schnoodle dog ate a whole pack of gum with Xylitol - I got to her right away and gave her a good dose of Hydrogen Peroxide.  She quickly threw up a buncha sticky, pepperminty pukey and was fine - but she had JUST eaten the gum so this was an ok treatment.

If you are not sure whether or not the gum had Xylitol - pls call your vet and/or induce vomiting - better safe than sorry!

GinnyTata-Phillips, co-author of DOGKU, PETKU and the all Bassets all the time BASSETKU!

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me