[Dailydrool] Buppies and Nigel & Llewis

Drew McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Apr 13 17:33:05 PDT 2009

Dear Nigel & Llewis:
I am afraid it is too late to do much about Cnly. You will have to wait for
him to grow up before you are safe from the pointy teeth problem. MomPerson
will never give him up.

But I do have advice for the next time the MomPerson starts talking about
getting a buppy. Listen very carefully for signs of this. When she shows
signs of an imminent puppy invasion, sit in front of her in a very
good-hound pose. Look at her incredibly sadly. And loudly think, "No
buppies, no buppies, no buppies!"

This method worked with our mom. After taking in three basset puppies in a
row, she looked at us and knew we were telling her not to get another foster
puppy--even at a year or more old, they were making us crazy because they
ran around all the time and wanted to play when we wanted to sleep. Mom got
the message very quickly and took in Alexis Thefairyprincess instead. At
nine, she was no trouble at all and easily followed my direction as alpha
hound. It was a perfect solution. Mom was happy, and Belvedere and I got our
nap time back.

Sometimes getting through to the humans is a real challenge. But you have
time to hone your skills in this area. I can almost guarantee that the
MomPerson will also not want to brave puppy teeth for a few years. So
practice the Look for all you are worth. Since there are two of you, it will
be especially appealing.
Lady Jane, head honcho for the Dashing Bassets, who knows whereof she speaks